Concept Refinement

                                                                Concept Refinement 


I did not pitch during my class period, so I decided to pitch to a couple of my friends at lunch and to other classmates from other classes. I had given them a paper to write down notes on how I did or if I was not broad enough. When I pitched my film, I could see a couple different facial expressions. It was confusion and the other facial expression would be them smiling or laughing and a couple of others a little scared. After pitching I asked them what their thoughts were on it. One of my friends at lunch said that I wasn't broad enough. Another friend I sit with said that I needed to describe more on what was going on and how the problem started. Three people in a class I have with said that it was a good idea but if I wanted it to be a scary film it needs more suspense. That something big has to happen or smaller things leading up to something big to make it connect together. So,  finally everybody thought it was an innovative idea but that I was missing some parts of it, which did not allow it to connect all together. I wasn't being broad enough, and that I need to go into more depth about my characters and who they are and how everything had started in the first place. 


The article for making films called “Exploring the role of meaningful experiences in users’ appreciation of “good movies” supports my concept because in the article it helped me figure out how to play the film out. In the article it says “Enjoyment is predicted to be highest when liked or beloved protagonists are shown experiencing positive outcomes, and dislike characters are depicted as experiencing negative outcomes. In contrast, dysphoria is expected when liked characters suffer and antagonists' triumph.” Meaning that in the film someone may get connected to a good character and they would rather see something good and positive come out of it instead of seeing them get hurt or die. Same thing for the bad characters, nobody wants to see the bad character who killed everyone in the end win and be proud they want to see payback. That showed me since I decided to do a scary film that the main character or good character must have a positive outcome unlike the bad character. 

 

The article also explained about a character's motivations and goals in films or movies. In the film there must be a goal, something the character is trying to reach or accomplish. It also talks strongly about feelings in a movie. It says, “Sadness, then, should not be considered the only affective response associated with meaningful or contemplative experiences. Rather, across a variety of samples and a diversity of age ranges, films that appear to satisfy eudaimonic concerns appear to elicit mixed affect that is better described by such terms as poignancy, tenderness, feeling moved, or being touched along with more cognitive descriptors.” It seems like the word enjoyment doesn’t capture the viewers feelings. They may feel in between because nothing is happening. No drastic problem, or something that pushes the viewer on their set on where they want to see more. The article has helped me put what it says into the film to make it become better.  

 

Comments